top of page

Tribal Enrollment

18300 W. Keetoowah Circle Tahlequah, OK 74464

Open Monday-Friday | 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.

As with other federally recognized tribes throughout the U.S., the United Keetoowah Band has its own unique process to determine membership. Below are Enrollment documents and a brief FAQ of the most common questions about membership into the UKB. 

For additional questions or if you are a member who has lost your enrollment card, please contact the UKB Enrollment Office Registrar Amanda Stopp at 918-871-2797.

Questions concerning Keetoowah history, cultural practices, clothing, language or ceremonies are better suited for our John Hair Cultural Center and Museum. Please visit their page here or call 918-871-2866. Wado!

Stomp Grounds_BB copy.jpg
Offical United Keetowah Band Seal.jpg

Membership Application

Start here to become a Keetoowah tribal member!

Stomp Grounds Flag.jpg

Update Your Info 

Update your enrollment information with our office


CDIB Instructions

How to obtain a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood

seal rebuild bw thick line.png

UKB Relinquishment

Relinquish your membership with UKB

Enrollment Questions

  • What are the eligibility requirements for membership into the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians?​

To be eligible for UKB membership, Cherokees must be able to provide documentation that they are a descendant of an individual listed on the 1949 United Keetoowah Band Base Roll or of an individual listed on the final Dawes Roll. Applicants must be one-fourth Keetoowah Cherokee blood quantum, which is calculated through the blood quantum listed for your ancestor on the aforementioned rolls.

  • What documents will I need to provide to prove my ancestry? 

A Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood (CDIB) showing ancestry and blood quantum in an 8.5 by 11 format is required to verify a membership application. Applicants must also provide the Enrollment Office with a letter or affidavit stating they are not currently enrolled with another tribe, band or nation. If an individual has been affiliated with another tribe but never been a UKB member, they must provide a relinquishment letter from that tribe’s enrollment office in order to be eligible.

The proper paperwork must be submitted to the UKB Registrar Amanda Stopp before the 20th of each month so that she can generate a report for UKB Secretary Joyce Fourkiller. That report will be given to council for approval at the regularly scheduled UKB Tribal Council meeting.

  • What does it mean to be an "exclusive" Keetoowah member? Why is it important?

Keetoowah members that are classified as "exclusive" are those that hold membership with the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians in Oklahoma ONLY. These members do not hold a tribal membership with any other tribe and their names will only be found on our Enrollment list. Some members can be classified as "dual enrolled," meaning that our Enrollment Office has checked the enrollment lists of other tribes and found the member in question to be an enrollee on both. While not illegal, our Enrollment Ordinance does not permit dual enrollment in terms of providing services to members. This is in part to prevent "double-dipping" of federal funding given to our tribe and that of others. Most commonly, dual enrolled members are affiliated with the other two federally recognized Cherokee tribes - the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.

  • Does the UKB perform or use DNA testing as proof of right to membership?

We do not perform DNA testing to prove blood quantum. In fact, we do not use DNA testing to verify any member's eligibility. DNA testing is ambiguous and is not engineered to pinpoint a tie to a specific tribe, even if a test might show genetic markers for Native American ancestry. We will not accept DNA testing in lieu of any requirements listed above.

  • I have several of my ancestors names and am attempting to find out my heritage to see if I could be Keetoowah. Could someone at UKB trace my lineage in a genealogy report?

Unfortunately at this time UKB does not own or operate a genealogy service, as our staff and resources are limited. If you are seeking a genealogy report, we encourage you to use other services including the Cherokee National Research Center in Tahlequah. This center is not operated by the UKB, but by the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma.


Individuals who wish to know if specific ancestors are on our rolls or the Dawes Roll can contact our Enrollment Office and they will do their best to assist you. You must have this individual's name. If your ancestor is found, please keep in mind that this does not automatically qualify for enrollment into UKB. Our blood quantum requirement must still be met under all circumstances.

  • What if I was a former UKB member who relinquished for another tribe, but wish to come back?

Membership is possible for former UKB members who relinquished for another tribe, but only by filling out the proper paperwork and providing proof of an extreme circumstance. These circumstances can include a denial of services originally promised if a member were to switch to another tribe, such as housing, work or medical care services. This is a one time process if approved.

bottom of page