top of page
  • Lani Hansen

UKB offers college housing assistance for Spring 2019

Updated: Nov 29, 2018



The College Student Rental Assistance Program with the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians Housing Department is accepting applications for the spring 2019 semester until Jan. 18, 2018.

Funding for the CSRA Program was raised this past year from $1,000 to $2,000 per semester in hopes to better assist full-time students with housing expenses.

“We understand college housing can be expensive and we want to help our UKB college students in any way we can,” said Nancy McCause, UKB Housing Director. 

The program is operated on a first-come, first serve basis. Awards are subject to the availability of funds and currently only for students who live within the UKB’s nine-county jurisdiction.  Members of other federally recognized tribes will be assisted after all UKB members are served.

“We helped nine students this past semester with their housing expenses,” said McCause. “UKB exclusives members will be helped first followed by members of other tribes.”

Students can use the funds for either on or off-campus housing and must be exclusive UKB members taking at least 12 semester hours to receive first preference for assistance.

Upon approval, funds will be dispersed quickly and payments will be made directly to the student’s college or university in one lump sum.

For students who reside off campus, monthly payments will be made directly to the landlord. If a student moves during the semester, the institute or landlord must return a prorated amount to the Housing Department.

The UKB CSRAP is funded by the Native American Housing and Self-Determination Act of 1996 (NAHASDA) and regulated by the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR 24, Part 1000). 

CSRAP funds can also be used by students who attend colleges or universities out of state, a change from last year’s program guidelines.


Students must submit a completed application with copies of their tribal membership card, social security card and driver’s license. Financial aid and income verification of all household members, a class schedule and an official transcript are also required.

Applicants who are living off campus will also need to supply tax returns, a property lease agreement and a W-9.

“The students who are applying will need to provide a statement of housing expense,” said McCause. “It should be from their landlord or from the university.”

Those who received CSRAP for Fall 2018 semester will need to re-certify with the Housing Department. Re-certification letters will be sent out before the Jan. 18 deadline. 

For more information or to receive an application, visit the Housing Department at 18263 W. Keetoowah Circle or call 918-871-2773.



bottom of page